A beautiful head of healthy hair is a lot more than looking great to people around. It touches on improving your self-esteem because you receive admiring glances wherever you go. It also touches on your self-confidence, speaks of your personality and provides a glimpse of your identity. Healthy, shiny and bouncy hair is what most women look for. So many products on the market lay claim to absolutely “beautiful” results when used. Question is, are you using the right products to achieve that healthy head of hair? Healthy hair is a lot more than what goes on it, it also has plenty to do with what goes inside your body. The next time you reach for that packet of chips for example and a bowl of fruits is calling your name at the table, perhaps you should pay attention to the fruits!
In order to achieve healthy hair, some people opt for over the counter products, others prefer the natural way of doing things while the rest give up the fight and opt for “healthy” hair from other people on their heads(wigs and weaves). The good news is, with patience and dedication you too can achieve that healthy head of hair.
A look at how to achieve beautiful and healthy hair for women:
Things that go on the outside:
Just because you buy that rather expensive bottle of shampoo or conditioner doesn’t mean that you will end up with a healthy head of hair. Before applying products onto your hair, it is important to know the type of hair you have. This helps you get the right products for your hair type to avoid frustrations in the long run. Your hair’s texture and condition should play an important role in the shampoo, conditioner or treatment you perform on your hair.
As a tip, try as much as possible to rotate the brands of products, (especially shampoo) that go onto your hair. This is because with time, your hair tends to get used to a given product and it fails to produce the results it did when you first started using it. Check out this cute hairstyle guide for long hair to achieve the perfect look.
Things that go on the inside:
What passes your mouth not only affects your overall well being but it also affects your hair. As such, it is important that you take great care in what you eat if you wish to have that beautiful healthy head of hair. Take an extra helping of those dreaded fruits and vegetables if you wish to achieve beautiful healthy hair. Make foods such as walnuts, yoghurt, salmon, blueberries, spinach, and sweet potatoes your best friend. Other foods include oysters for fullness, eggs for growth and cinnamon for circulation. Ideally, foods rich in proteins and iron should make your hair happy in the long run.
Follow these tips to achieve healthy hair
- While shampoos, aim for the scalp as opposed to the hair itself if you want to avoid dull and coarse flyaway hair.
- Washing hair at least three times a week is great but if you have colored hair then you need to avoid over-washing it if you wish to maintain its sheen.
- Hot water to the hair results in dry, tangled hair-avoid it!
- Brush your hair at least twice a day from the bottom up.
- Avoid brushing wet hair-rather, pat it dry and comb it.
- Remember to clean your hair brushes and combs.
- Keep tight hairstyles such as weaves and braids to a minimum as they cause tension to the scalp. Opt for looser hairstyles instead.
- Wet hair and a flat iron are like a dog and a cat- keep them separate.
- Whenever possible, go for organic products since certain chemicals such as sodium lauryl sulphate and ammonium lauryl sulphate can strip your hair!